6.12.2007

Daft Punk's Electroma to be Screened in Miami

I had a quasi-religious experience last year when I saw Daft Punk. I saw some sort of higher power at the apex of their pyramid of simultaneously pulsating light and sound. And I'm not the only one: when the French DJ duo announced their summer tour (which, coincidentally kicks off on Thursday with a gig in Paris) hordes of music fans (myself included) made plans to be at one of the dates scattered throughout North America this summer.

During Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo and Thomas Bangalter's nine year absence from the United States (they returned and played a legendary set at last year's Coachella) they directed a silent film entitled Electroma, which is a classic buddy/road-trip tale. Except that the buddies are robots and their journey is a mission to become human.

Pretty fitting plot line for a band whose most recent live show began with a tune called "Robot Rock" and concluded with "Human After All". Subconscious plot spoiler? We'll have to wait and see...

This morning the first set of North American screening dates for the film were announced, and I am ecstatically shocked that South Florida (alright, Miami) will have a showing on Saturday, July 28 at Studio A. No information on their website or how to get tickets, but when I find something out I'll post it here.

Oh, and there's no Daft Punk music in the movie. And I've heard that it is not very good. Which doesn't really matter... I'll check it out anyway.

Full listing of Electroma screenings:

6.14 Toronto, Ontario - Xpace
6.28 Calgary, Alberta - Stride Gallery
6.29 Los Angeles, CA - New Beverly Cinema
7.28 Miami, FL - Studio A
9.08 Montreal, Quebec - Osheaga Festival
9.09 Montreal, Quebec - Osheaga Festival

1 comment:

Mad Percolator said...

hich we will then proceed to SEE, should you not be abroad on some other concert mission.