6.11.2007

the meh-ning of all this...

The entry on urbandictionary.com first defines meh as "indifference; to be used when one simply does not care". I prefer the fourth attempt at a definition:
An interjection used to imply indifference towards a subject; "a verbal shrug".
A verbal shrug... I kind of like that. Beyond indifference, to me it implies indecision and a general lack of initiative. A certain of laziness.

So why name my new project something stupid like the s-meh-dvin files? My love of bad puns led the way--I'm known to a lot of people as smedvin (first initial, last name). I'm also a overcritical son-of-a-bitch; a mass consumer of culture ranging from high-brow to low-brow to no-brow to eye-brow, and I have a tendency to let my opinions flow.

I like what I like and I have little time for the rest.*

Meh. What can I say?

* * *

For a while after my last blog ran out of gas (for the second time) I had no desire to write or to spread my overbearing, underdeveloped opinions. I became a part of a couple of informal groups that passed around recommendations on what to read or listen to, and I expanded my menu of media consumption to fit a wider variety of sources, and I left my personal picks to the dregs of the many message boards I waste too much time with on a daily basis.

I got distracted with other things: mundane everyday necessities like keeping up at work and going back to school. It's easy to let something as therapeutic as venting to the unseen masses on the internet fall by the wayside.

But lately I've been feeling the need to open up the vent again. And frankly, if I'm going to be spending my time posting my thoughts on the internet, I'd prefer to do it in a forum such as this that I can moderate myself instead of on other people's message boards.

What am I going to write about? Well, whatever is striking my fancy at the moment. Politics, music, television, gossip, art, food, yada yada yada yada.

I hope you like it.

I hope I do to.

* In all actuality, I'm really quite open to new things.

No comments: