7.08.2007

well, I sure feel D.U.M.B.er... (part 1)

Disco Biscuits' bassist Marc Brownstein
(photo courtesy of Chris Hight)

...which, if you ask me, is to be expected. I mean, last weekend was a serious one. Serious in terms of partying and good times, not serious like morose and humorouslessness.

We started out on Thursday evening when we packed up a buddy's little Scion (sure is bigger on the inside then it looks from the outside) and set off on the first part of our journey. It didn't take long to make it to Ft. Pierce, where we were picking up our final traveling companion. We tossed him in the back seat and set off for Atlanta. Fast forward to 6 a.m. I've been driving the final shift for a couple of hours. We're so close to my lady's house that I can smell her dog keeping my place in the bed warm. And we hit Friday morning Atlanta rush hour. Although I was tired I was also a bit wired from the caffeine, and my right leg cramped out terribly and I bounced from gas to brake and back again. Finally, we overcame the bottleneck and finally arrived at our destination.

A few hours of sleep before we make breakfast and head out on a food shopping expedition. Normally, a trip to the supermarket does not excite me all that much, but I had been awaiting this trip for quite a while. It was my first opportunity to visit Trader Joe's. I had heard nothing but good things about the store and its' cheap prepared foods and even cheaper bottles of wine. The hype was much deserved, as I filled the cart with bottles of "Three Buck Chuck" and ogled the store's lines of sauces and homemade pastas. There are approximately 479 Trader Joe's locations in the state of California, and not a single one in Florida. Someone should do something about that...

Anyway, we took our groceries home to prepare for a big dinner. The lady and I made both a meat lasagna and a veggie lasagna--from scratch, thank you very much--and fed a full house of dinner guests. Much revelry commenced, and my hazy recollections seem to recall some time spent with Comcast's Karaoke-on-Demand. Good times.

Saturday. Game day. Show time. I had made plans to go to BBQ before the show. In hindsight, eating a sloppy plate of pulled pork with all the fixings prior to consuming large quantities of alcohol and partying really hard wasn't a really good idea. Add to that the fact that it was at least 100 degrees outside and that there was approximately 7-and-a-half square feet of shade at the venue and you'll understand why I felt like I was dancing with a lead weight in my stomach. The heat (and probably the pork, as well) made me thirsty, and next thing I knew I had spend $50 on bottled water. The water added to my stomach discomfort, but I only peed once the entire afternoon. The rest I sweated out my pores as the day went on.

On to the music.

The Disco Biscuits are a nighttime band. They play a dirty trance-rock hybrid that is well suited to dingy, smoke-filled nightclubs. In Atlanta, they were playing in the blazing sunlight in a park in the middle of the day. Not really the ideal local for a Disco Biscuits show, but they wrote an interesting setlist and played it pretty well.

Set I:
Digital Buddha
> Crickets1> Strobelights and Martinis> Mindless Dribble> Voices Insane> I-Man2> November Rain3, World Is Spinning, Save The Robots

1 inverted
2 with "Gamma Goblins" (Hallucinogen) tease
3 ending only; with Brenden Blayliss (Umphrey's McGee) on guitar

the Disco Biscuits
(photo courtesy of Chris Hight)

Buddha was a good way to kick things off, and Crickets is always nice to hear. It is worth noting that they didn't finish (or in the case of the inverted Crickets, began) either of the first two tunes. The segue into Strobelights and Martinis was a bit sloppy. Dribble gave me an opportunity to punch my boy D00K in the face a few times (one of the only times it is acceptable to do so is during the slamming intro to this tune), and the band kept the pace up by segueing solidly into Voices Insane, which smoothly transition into the meat of the show.

This version of I-Man is one of the best I've heard. It starts out as a rocking version before the jam starts; once it does it turns into a techno monster. Teases abound, including the mentioned Gamma Goblins and the unmentioned "Swingtown" by the Steve Miller Band, complete with audience melody sing-a-long.

Near the end of the tune, Biscuits' guitarist Jon Guttwillig gave his guitar to UM's Brendan Bayliss and picked up what looked like a Strat or Telecaster as Bayliss wailed away. They absolutely killed the > November Rain, with Bayliss taking the lead and tearing it up through out.

Brendan Bayliss (L) and Jon Gutwillig tear it up. Aren't they cute?
(photo courtesy of Chris Hight)

World is Spinning was throwaway, and Save the Robots was a great way to end a solid set.

I'd post some tunes, but the show has not yet been uploaded to archive...

I'd post Umphrey's McGee's setlist, but since I don't really know any of their songs it wouldn't really matter. It did seem like the majority of the crowd was there to see them, as it really started moving once the band unleashed its' shredding dual guitar frenzy. I had a good time at this set. UM teased Black Sabbath's "Crazy Train" what seemed like a million times, and they really can jam. We left early to try to secure a spot for Perpetual Groove's late night set at the terribly misnamed club Heaven on the inside portion of the venue.


Umphrey's McGee
(photo courtesy of Chris Hight)

It turns out we missed the Biscuits come out to perform an encore after UM had finished their set; they played Helicopters, which segued (with a band switch off) into UM's Miss Tinkle's Overture.

Tommorrow I'll continue with the late night Perpetual Groove throwdown, the drive home (I slept almost the entire way) and a rainy Sunday night in Pompano Beach.

No comments: